The Gregg Park Shelter House was originally built in 1938 as part of FDR’s New Deal stimulus program during the Great Depression. Through a historic preservation grant, RQAW architects worked closely with SIDC and created a plan to keep the shelter house true to its original design, while adhering to a very tight and strict budget. It was important to improve the daily functions, and ensure the structural strength of the building. Meticulous work on the limestone included replacement, patching and tuckpointing. Special attention was paid to the two large fireplaces which anchor each side of the shelter. The fireplaces received new fire brick, patched limestone, and new lintels. After renovation, the space features new lighting fixtures, restrooms, and rehabilitated doors and windows. The space has been updated to meet modern standards, while retaining the original charm.

Skills

Posted on

October 22, 2020